KMi is a diverse and multidisciplinary R&D lab that has been at the forefront of innovation since 1995, conducting research in computing technologies for social and environmental good. Our research spans Semantic Technologies, Artificial Intelligence, Educational Media, Social Data Science, Scholarly Data, Blockchain, Citizen Science, Collective Intelligence, Smart Cities, and others.
This event will take place on Wednesday 22 February 2023
Dr Alexander Mikroyannidis - Knowledge Media Institute
In this talk, I will discuss the potential impact that emerging decentralisation technologies can have on the future of education. More specifically, I will present the pilot that I have led in...
Invasion of Ukraine
In line with the majority of people around the world, we at KMi are shocked and appalled by the war in Ukraine, and the irreversible tragedies it is causing. While individual actions may seem insignificant, we strongly believe it is important to join the collective stand in asking the governments of the Russian Federation and Belarus to stop this needless deadly undertaking, resume meaningful peace talks, and save the lives of Ukrainians and Russians alike.
Being aware of the impact of Russian and Belarusian state-financed misinformation campaigns, we call on the Russian and Belarusian academic communities urging them to release public statements of solidarity with Ukraine, reject this war, and to protect and encourage those brave Russians and Belarusian who protest.
Some of our close collaborators have been caught up in this tragic episode, which makes it deeply personal for us.
Below we list a number of links where you can read other statements and contribute to help.
- Letter: Moscow State University Condemns the War in Ukraine: https://www.stopwar.org.uk/article/letter-moscow-state-university-condemns-the-war-in-ukraine/
- UNHCR have the following suggestions including an opportunity to donate in support of refugees and humanitarian assistance: https://www.unrefugees.org.uk/take-action/how-to-help-ukraine
- Collecting medical supplies - https://twitter.com/svakulenk0/status/1497694919967883265
- Labs volunteering to host Ukranian scientists https://twitter.com/Hlashuel/status/1497978917512089602?s=20&t=MCZ5JE_oYHkOBJKL-eSTtA
- Open letter from brave Russian colleague scientists condemning the war: https://www.eureporter.co/world/russia/2022/02/24/an-open-letter-from-russian-scientists-and-science-journalists-against-the-war-with-ukraine/
- In russian with signatures: https://trv-science.ru/2022/02/we-are-against-war/?fbclid=IwAR0oPBDG51Fka32CC7a1fP-K3eLJe7_7_4ttJ3iKaJor9d4J5zMh1gwWQTk
I manage a team of software developers working on research and innovation projects throughout STEM. I have myself primarily coded on collective intelligence, knowledge mapping, and blockchain...
Works on improving and and maintaining CORE (http://core.ac.uk) FOSTER (http://fosteropenscience.eu) and Stories Of Change (http://storiesofchange.ac.uk). Once he was a Super Mario plumber.
"If you are or want to be a brilliant mind, this is where you want to be!"
Valentina Presutti, Institute of Cognitive Science and Technologies, Italy
"I cannot imagine going to a conference without experiencing deep scientific conversations with KMiers!"
Raphaël Troncy, EURECOM: Graduate School & Research Center, France
"Top location for SW research for decades and going strong!"
Pascal Hitzler, Kansas State University, USA